Journey with Us offers short-term placements with the world church for people of all ages and backgrounds.
Our Journey with Us programme provides an opportunity to experience the life and mission of the church in another culture.
We have been arranging placements for volunteers from 18 to 80 years for over 50 years, including our Expanding Horizons programme for clergy undertaking sabbaticals and ordinands in training.
Note: We host regular Journey with Us Discernment and Selection Weekend in Birmingham. For more info, email Habib Nader:
You may know of the Journey with Us programme under its former title, the Experience Exchange Programme (EEP).
We will support you through every step of the placement process, with training prior to travel, care while on placement, and debriefing on return.
Participants often describe their placements as a life-changing experience – and we trust this will be your experience also.
- Who is eligible? Anyone resident in Britain and Ireland, aged 18 or over, from any denomination or church background.
- Length of placement: Up to 12 months.
- How is my placement decided? Placements are tailor-made to meet individual preferences, including location. All placements are with Us partners, in Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean. Note: we are unable to provide placements in the USA or Canada because the churches there have their own programmes.
- Funding: The Journey with Us programme is a self-funding volunteer scheme. Cost depends on the location, length of placement and the individual. For a 9-12 month placement you may need raise on average between £3,000 and £4,000 to cover airfares, insurance, living expenses, training, and sundry costs. A small grant is available from Us, and we may advise on where further funding could be available.
- What is it like on placement? You will be the guest of your host church, who will provide pastoral care and support. The emphasis is on participation, sharing and fellowship.
- What skills are required? No professional skills are necessary. You may have a professional skill that you wish to use. Likewise, you may wish to try your hand at something new.
We are an inclusive organisation. Our Journey with Us programme is open to all, irrespective of where you are on your life and faith journey.
Next step: send Us your details
Get in touch and we will send more information and an application form, including details of our next Discernment Weekend held, in Birmingham.